Sunday, February 26, 2012

Act of Valor; A Tribute To All Our Service Men and Women

I watched a very inspiring movie last night, and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND for EVERYONE to watch it! Act of Valor, a film inspired by true events of Navy SEALS. I have always felt proud of my sister Talena for taking the oath to serve and protect in the U.S. Navy, but I never really thought about the depth of the words that she swore. She has willingly said that she would lay down her life for you, me, and her brothers and sisters in uniform.

I am a United States Sailor.


I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America and I will obey the orders of those appointed over me.


I represent the fighting spirit of the Navy and those who have gone before me to defend freedom and democracy around the world.


I proudly serve my country’s Navy combat team with Honor, Courage and Commitment.


I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all.

 As I type this I am crying, not because I am sad, I am PROUD. To have someone like Talena, and her bunk mate Lulu on our side makes me sleep much better at night. Before 9/11 I think we were all a little naive about how real the threat of terrorism is, and that the freedom that we have is just something that is given to everyone. It is real, and no it's not free and given freely. In the movie there was a poem that was read during the last few moments that really stuck with me. The title is Attitude Toward Death, The Teaching of Tecumseh. Like I said, everyone needs to go and watch this movie! It also has a great soundtrack so with that I will leave you with the poem, and a song from the movie. 
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about his religion. Respect others in their views and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life,beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, or even a stranger, if in a lonely place. Show respect to all people, but grovel to none. When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light,for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks,the fault lies in yourself. Touch not the poisonous firewater that makes wise ones turn to fools and robs the spirit of its vision. When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death,so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.



Talena and Lulu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you all for all of your sweet messages! I love reading them, so keep them coming!

Twana

Followers